Weekend special free recipe:
Hummus in a diabetic diet plan in India
Before I start writing this post, here is a big shoutout to Pradipty Bhardwaj, who is a new entrant to this health blog. She is a wonderful cook who is always trying her hand at preparing healthy recipes. All pictures in this Hummus recipe have been contributed by Ms. Pradipty Bhardwaj. Yaay! we are waiting for more of your easy healthy recipes Pradipty. 😀
In the initial years of this blog, IWB, there was a recipe published about Hummus without Tahini which was liked by many of our readers, so when my daughter-in-law shared the pictures of her weekend party dip recipe of Hummus, I realized how easy the recipe is and can be made by anyone in a jiffy. More than being easy, it is a recipe that can be enjoyed by even those who are on a weight loss journey struggling with heart problems or diabetes. Let me share this weekend party special recipe for Hummus and also tell you why Hummus in a diabetic diet plan in India can be a good idea.
Weekend special free recipe: Hummus (Ingredients)
Let us take a look at the ingredients, which are very easy to find in any kitchen. The ingredients in the recipe are all so healthy that anyone who is trying to work on getting back good and healthy eating habits can enjoy it equally. Let us take a look…
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are legumes coming from plants. Chickpeas are considered a superfood being nutritious. One cup serving of chickpeas has 269 calories, 14.5 grams of protein, 4.25 g fat, 44.9 g of carbohydrates, 12.5 g of dietary fiber, 80.4 (mg) of calcium, 4.74 mg of iron, 78.7 mg of magnesium, 276 mg of potassium and 11.5 mg of sodium.
Sesame seeds are one of the oldest oil seeds crops in human history. According to medical experts, Sesame seed consumption help in reducing blood pressure, fasting blood glucose, and improving hemoglobin levels.
Extra Virgin Olive oil is one of the healthiest fats and how and why of that can be found here…
Lemon juice, who doesn’t know about the benefits of lemon juice. To know more about the benefits of lemon, check out this post here…
Garlic is an integral part of our Indian cooking. It helps in weight loss, too, yes, you read it right, and if you are on a weight loss journey, you can read about it here… Not only that, we have a few interesting garlic recipes posted, which you can read here… here…. and if you wish to know about the benefits of garlic in winters, read here…
- One bowl of boiled and peeled chickpeas (peeling optional though it helps in making extra smooth hummus)
- 9-10 cloves of garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil one tbsp
- Juice of one lemon
- One tbsp dry roasted Sesame seeds to make Tahini
- Salt according to taste
Earlier, we had published a hummus recipe without Tahini, so today, we add Tahini too. Let us know how to prepare Tahini first.
Tahini Ingredients and recipe
- Dry roast one tablespoon of white sesame seeds and dry grind in a mixer.
- Add I tsp olive oil and grind a little more in the mixer.
Amazing Tahini is ready to be used in Hummus spread.
Tahini can be stored for future use. You can use it as a spread on toast or salad seasoning later.
- In a mixer or with the help of a hand blender, blend and mix Tahini, salt, boiled chickpea (peeled or not, your choice), garlic, and lemon juice.
- Prepare a homogenous paste using all ingredients.
- Voila! Your Hummus is ready to be the eye-catcher of any party.
Here are a few interesting ideas related to Hummus.
- Hummus can not only be enjoyed with pita chips as a dip but even as a base for making a sandwich.
- It is a good idea for an after-workout meal as it is a high-protein recipe. Read about it here Protein Packed Post Workout Meal-Eggs & Hummus.
- If you are trying to lose weight for a better heart or diabetic health, Do not forget to read about it here in this post How You Can Lose Weight With Hummus?
- Looking for something different and more Indian taste, you need to read this here… Black Beans/ Rajma Hummus Recipe
- We have something for all those health-conscious people who are trying to cut carbohydrates from their diet… Hummus Recipe- Healthy, Easy, And Low Carb
So hope you liked such an elaborate post about Hummus, and surely tonight it is going to be a special party at your place with the humble Hummus as the star of the show. Enjoy good health with IWB as we believe in YOLO. ;D